Sunday, February 3, 2008

Offensensitivity

The FCC is taking action against stations who aired an episode of "NYPD Blue" five years ago.

I was an intermittent watcher but I recall the episode in question. I only recalled it vaguely upon re-watching that scene but after many repeated viewings, I remember being mildly scandalized.

For those of you who would like to view it repeatedly as well, the youtube clip is here. (Obvious content warning.)

Maybe I'm just jaded or society is just that coarse, but I really can't find offense in that clip now. It's not at all sexual. And the shot from between her legs is comical, as is the close up from behind the boy's head, where his ears are essentially blocking the view of her breasts. Funny.

But basically, I look at it and think, "Charlotte Ross has an amazing body!"

I've talked about Bochco before and how I think the nets should be focusing on family-friendly fare, but I'm pretty sure the government's involvement should be minimal. Also, I actually wouldn't call that scene family-unfriendly.

I know families who cover up from stem-to-stern from the moment they wake till--well, they sleep covered up, too, so, always (actually, even in baths!). But my experience suggests children are born nudists and don't think--until they're taught to--anything of nudity in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab an umbrella. Unleash hell. Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. If swelling continues past four hours, consult a physician.