Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predictions

The whole Oscar thing sorta snuck up on me.... Remember when it used to be in March? That was great, you couldn't even remember what films they were talking about....

Off-the-cuff predicitons.

Best Picture: No Country For Old Men
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress: Julie Christie
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Best Supporting Actress: Cate or Ruby? Sentimentalism or transgenderism.... Ruby Dee.
Best Director: Coens or Anderson... Coens.
Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody
Best Adaptation: Coens?
Best Animated: Ratatouille--I don't think the Disney hate (by Disney insiders who are pissed at Pixar) can lift Persepolis to the award.

Last year I picked 10 out of 12, and only missed the animated feature one because I didn't realize that Happy Feet was an anti-human movie. "Humans bad" is always good for an edge over gas-guzzling Cars. I missed the foreign language film--I'm not even guessing this year because I've only even heardof one--and even in retrospect, I'm a little surprised that Das leben der anderen beat Pan's Labyrinth. Not that the former wasn't excellent.

This year I'm not as confident. Cate could take it home for playing Bob Dylan, the Academy eats that stuff up.

CELEBRITY GUEST BLOGGER PICKS! Kelly at LoadedQuestions gives her predictions here:

Best Picture: I am going to go with No Country but I don't think it's a clear win.
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress: Julie Christie (Although I wish it were Ellen Page.)
Best Supporting Actor: Benicio (B: Heh...Benicio? K: Benicio is a lock! B: Benicio? Benicio Bardem? Javier del Toro? K: Oh. Sorry. LOL. )
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Director: Coens
Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody
Best Adaptation: Coens
Best Costumes: Elizabeth

Neither of us are impressed by the "original songs" category this year.


UPDATE from K: Oh LORD! A very intoxicated Gary Busey just grabbed a very nervous Jennifer Garner on the red carpet and kissed her neck.

You know, I'm not even gonna watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab an umbrella. Unleash hell. Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. If swelling continues past four hours, consult a physician.