Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bad Commercial Alert

Let California Ring has a stupid, stupid commercial on. You can see it at their website.

If you don't know what it's about, you wouldn't know what it's about, which I think is probably the hallmark of bad advertising.

Basically, it's a bride trying to get to the altar, and things are in her way. Mostly, it's the sort of coincidental vicissitudes that happen to us all--stuff in the road, clingy children, etc.--although at the end, some old lady swings her cane out and trips the poor dear. The groom rushes to help her up but his groosmen hold him back. The bride sits there in the aisle, looking forlorn.

Figured out what it's for? How about if I tell you the stinger?

What if you couldn't marry the person you loved?

Got it now?

Personally, I married for tax reasons. I didn't really think much of it at the time. And despite many warnings to contrary, it changed nothing on a personal level. (I think because most couples who are living together are hedging, whereas we were just too busy to do the paperwork until it became a serious tax liability. The previous year it had been a huge tax benefit not to be married!)

Of course, at this point, I'm pretty much barred from marrying the person I love, what with the bigamy laws. So I guess I should relate?

But back to the commercial. LCR proclaims that it puts the viewer in the shoes of gays and lesbians who want to marry.

I was more sympathetic before I saw the commercial. No, not really, it's just a poor analogy. It trivializes the issue. My mom faced far worse when she remarried and catered her own reception.

I've detailed my position here, and maybe this commercial will work in their favor. I found it off-putting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab an umbrella. Unleash hell. Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. If swelling continues past four hours, consult a physician.