Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Treadmill Desk, Day 6

200 minutes today. I would've done more but for the machine overheating.

And it is hot. The area around my desk is a good ten degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

My lower back is tight. (It always has been. Even extensive stretching hasn't provided much relief over the years.)

When I peeked at ning, I saw a couple of criticisms that, basically, the T-D isn't a panacea. You're only burning 100 calories an hour, and still need to do aerobics and can't expect to lose a bunch of weight doing it.

The guy who's been forwarding the idea would probably disagree but my viewpoint is I don't really care. The main merit of the Treadmill Desk is that you're not sitting on your ass.

I have a friend who has had a lifetime of manual labor jobs. I'm talking hard-ass stuff, lifting heavy weights--doing stuff at 115 pounds that her 250 pound male co-workers find challenging. She's also smoked a lifetime of cigarettes.

The doctor has informed her that she has the lungs of an 18-year-old.

This could be a fluke. It could be genetic. But I think it's because she's had an extraordinarily active lifetime.

I can't really do that. I don't have the skills. But I can do something other than what is probably the worst thing of all: nothing.

At least I think I can. I'll have to do something about the lower back tightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab an umbrella. Unleash hell. Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. If swelling continues past four hours, consult a physician.