Saturday, February 28, 2009

Again?

Can you freakin' believe that we have to go back to the polls on Tuesday?

My ass still hurts from the last time I voted. As pointless as the general election is for me (I've never elected a President, a Senator, a Congressman, a city council member, and 99% of the propositions go against me as well), the municipal elections are even worse.

Minorities--ideological minorities, I mean--are simply not well represented in our current system. I sometimes think that's a real advantage of the parliamentary system: Votes are apportioned according to party instead of being winner take all.

2 comments:

  1. A long while back I suggested a hybrid of parlimentary/electoral politics that might be workable (and would give minority party representation while still giving advantage to strong majorities, plus it would encourage third, fourth, fifth and regional or one issue parties to run viable candidates).

    I was applying the idea to Congress, but it could work on the local level, too, might be even more effective at the local level, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    I think I'm going to try to collect all these ideas and put them into some sort of cohesive format.

    You know, just in case Revolution 2.0 breaks out.

    ReplyDelete

Grab an umbrella. Unleash hell. Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. If swelling continues past four hours, consult a physician.